Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Drought


Tar strip heaven
and my mother said they used to chew the stuff
blackrock tooth cleaner
for a gypsy-eyed little boy
Eugene! Eugene!”
and he prayed for rain
and prayed for work
and prayed for pain
and prayed, I bet, for death
(near the end, anyway)
(as Eugene might have)
with a blackrock tooth cleaner
and pocket full of jumbled-dirt

Squirt-eye told me about the grasshoppers
grasshoppers as big as life
or bigger than life
(depending on the size of life)
and her father nailed them to the chicken coop
and watched while dark clouds came

I stood from eighty years' distance
I stood in the middle of a cloud of swarming grasshoppers
they bit at my eyelids and tore my lip
the blood pooled around my ankles
ankle deep and shouting from the soil
and the grasshoppers hit the window panes, dropped dead as dead can be
my father nailed them to the chicken coop
and watched while dark clouds came

No comments:

Post a Comment